Planning a trip this summer? Here are a few tips for giving you peace of mind while you are away!
1. Utilize a Home Security System. If you have one, make sure it’s activated. If you don’t have one, consider making the investment. Some systems even allow you to monitor your home via live video remotely so you can see what’s happening in real-time. I even have a home security contractor that gives my clients discounts. Reach out to me and I may be able to save you some money!
2. Hold the mail. This can be done quickly online and will keep your mailbox from piling up.
3. Have a plan for packages and flyers. Have a neighbor you trust check for packages or solicitations that may be left on the front porch.
4. Don’t skip home maintenance. If you usually keep up on things, letting your grass grow tall or not watering plants can be a give away that something is off. Plan to have someone maintain the outside of your home while you’re away.
5. Be careful on social media. If you have a lot of social media connections that include people you don’t know very well you may want to avoid any vacation related posts altogether. Even if your profiles are limited to close friends and family, it’s still best to err on the side of caution and not share too many details online.
6. Utilize a safe. A small safe can help give you extra peace of mind around jewelry, cash, and other valuable items.
7. Disconnect your garage door. Garage doors can sometimes be opened by universal remotes. Disengage your garage door opener and opt for a manual lock while you’re away.
8. Install a sensor on outdoor lights. For around $20, motion-sensor lights can provide home security whether you’re home or not.
9. Install timers on indoor lights. Giving the impression that someone is home every night could deter unwanted guests.
10. Advertise security. Post stickers and signs near doors. You can even buy stickers online if you don’t have a real system in place.
Have fun and stay safe this summer!