Moving into a new home is exciting! But there are also a lot of to-dos. Here are some tips for managing a move and keeping it stress-free.
One month prior to your move
1. Begin filing your change of address with the post office, credit cards, banks, insurance, and any subscription services.
2. Finalize your contract with the moving company and get everything in writing.
3. If you are not using a professional moving company, gather any boxes, tape, and packing materials you need to keep your valuables safe and secure. Start packing a little each day.
4. Think about packing an essentials box or suitcase of personal items like a set clothes and toiletries for moving day, so they don’t get lost in the shuffle.
5. Make a list of utility companies to either cancel or sign-up with so it’s handy when you’re ready to make the switch.
6. Request time off work if you are moving during a work day.
7. If you have school-aged children, request transcripts from their old school.
8. Plan a garage sale or find a place to donate items that you won’t need in your new home.
9. Take photos before you start packing to help you remember your old home.
10. Make updated ID tags for pets.
11. Create a moving day playlist to enjoy while unpacking.
12. Line up babysitters and a place to keep pets during your move.
Day of the move – your old home
13. Clean up the old house as rooms are emptied, or consider hiring a cleaning service.
14. Keep valuables with you including important documents, computers, and expensive jewelry.
15. Say goodbye to your old home; it helps to have closure, especially for children.
16. Complete a final walk-through of the old home to make sure lights are turned off, doors are locked, and nothing is left behind.
17. Have cash handy for tipping your movers.
18. Have plenty of snacks and drinks readily available.
Day of the move – your new home
19. Do an initial clean before you set down furniture; this is your one chance!
20. Consider carpet protectors to keep your new home in good shape while lots of people are walking through.
21. (Mostly) stay out of the way of the movers but check for scratches and dents to valuables before they leave.
22. Start assembling furniture as items like beds are moved in.
23. Start unpacking and checking boxes filled with fragile items so you can report any damage immediately.
24. Go grocery shopping; even if it’s for just a few essentials.
After the move
25. Change the locks for security purposes.
26. Update your driver’s license.
27. Switch your voter registration.
28. Go meet your neighbors!
29. If you’ve moved cities, start asking around for recommendations on doctors, dentist, veterinarian, etc.
30. Enjoy – a new home is the start to a new adventure and more family memories!
Any other moving tips you’ve found valuable? Let me know in the comments!