Fall is right around the corner…and so is winter! Here are a couple of things to work on this fall season to take care of your home!
- Check weather stripping on all doors and windows and repair as needed: this one will require a trip to your local hardware store, but it’s well worth not having a draft! See how to install weather stripping on a door here or a window here
- Patch and seal driveway (asphalt or concrete), and concrete steps/landings: for asphalt repair see here for concrete here
- Look at tuckpointing on all brick areas, then seal masonry with a silicone sealant
- Evaluate all areas that need to be caulked, and repair as needed: did you know there are different types of caulk? And you should use the right caulk for the right job, see here
- Make sure all garage floor or driveway drains are flowing properly
- Clear gutters of leaves, check for leaks, repair as needed.
- Inspect the roof for loose or missing shingles, and check flashing seals; repair as needed.
- Clean and reseal decks, fences, or other structures made of pressure-treated wood: did you know you can rent a pressure washer from Home Depot?
- Prune bushes, trees, and shrubs: if you don’t have the time or energy, we recommend contacting a local landscaper!
- Lubricate garage door tracks: have you ever done that? Try it now it’s pretty easy – see this for some help
- Have furnace checked or tuned up, and change filter; have boiler checked every few years (every year if boiler is more than 20 years old)
- Have the chimney cleaned (yearly, if wood burning, every 5 years if just for gas appliances)
- Check damper in the fireplace for obstructions, such as birds’ nests: here’s how!
- Drain off sediment from hot water tank and steam heating system: see here for how to!
- Add copper sulfate to basement floor drain and downspout drains to control tree roots in main sewer: see here for what copper sulfate does!
If you don’t have time to do something on this list, give us a call, we’d love to help you find the right person to do the job for you!