1. Do you enjoy physical work?
2. Are you patient and sometimes meticulous?
3. Do you complete things once you start them?
4. Do you own the proper tools?
5. Have you completed similar projects in the past?
6. Do you have people to help you if you need it?
7. Do you have the proper skills?
8. Do you have time to get the job done?
9. Is the project time sensitive?
10. Do you have the space to assemble, dry, or lay out all the components?
11. Are you prepared for added stress the job may cause?
12. Are you prepared for the inconveniences you and your family may experience?
13. Do you understand any relevant building codes, HOA guidelines or permit requirements?
14. Do you feel safe tackling this project?
15. What will you do if you get stuck or the project goes awry?
16. Do you know where to source the necessary materials?
17. Do you fully understand the time and resources required?
18. Do you understand the cost difference between DIY and hiring a pro?
19. Does it make sense economically based on how much your time is worth and how long the project will take?
20. Will you take pride in saying you did it yourself?
If you answered no to several of these questions, you may want to do some additional research or work through how you can solve for potential issues.
If you answered yes to many of these, you are probably ready to tackle your DIY project! DIY can be fun and very rewarding as long as you know what you’re getting yourself into!
Any DIY projects planned in the near future? Let me know in the comments!